Saturday, October 10, 2009

Thing 18: YouTube

I can't believe how easy it was to include a YouTube video in my blog! I just now realized that I can make my blog more like a multimedia experience, with audio, video, pictures and even interactive content.
This particular video I posted in my blog is one of my favorites. Created by Michael Wesch, professor of digital ethnography at the University of Kansas, is one of the most interesting videos I have ever seen. On top of that, it is so relevant to the things we are learning here that I venture it would make for quite an interesting discussion.
My experience with YouTube was born more out of necessity than anything else. Sometime ago, I moved into my new apartment and found myself without a TV. I thought at the time that, given how busy I envisioned myself to be with schoolwork and my own job, I would not need it. Nevertheless, because of how long I have lived watching one, its absence was deeply felt at those rare times when I did not have anything to do.
I did not have a television, but I had a computer, so I started looking for videos online, and that's how I found YouTube.
I was very excited to find it, since, after some exploring, I found so many videos I could never even dream of finding on regular TV. Everything from the funny, the mundane, the outright bizarre, I could find it in YouTube.
It was during my search for online video that I found Hulu. Hulu is very similar to YouTube, the difference is that Hulu shows videos from commercial television, as well as some movies and documentaries.
Thanks to YouTube and Hulu, I am happy to say, I can waste my time just as if I had a TV.
The video I included is definitely not a time waster. Please look at it, wou will be amazed at its depth and relevance to what we are doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment